Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I have met Hudson!

Continuous Integration with automated tests execution is the main part of the dev process in my team. We used CruiseControl for a few years and it proved to be very helpful for us. We feel always in control and we make sure the quality stays at the top of priority all the time. But last time I started practicing to break the build up into smaller builds and chaining them together that let us identify problems earlier. It raised several problems:
  • configuring new builds is a lot more work than it needs to be;
  • multiple ant builds interfere with each other with multiple builds;
  • multiple builds are some kind a mess on the dashboard;
I have overcome all this obstacles when I had tried Hudson. More over I discovered new opportunities to improve my builds:
  • JUnit results processing - nice HTML, results trends, charts;
  • The upstream and downstream projects;
It is impressive! It is much more than just a Continuous Integration server. In conjunction with over tools it is a very powerfull instrument for acceptence testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment